Sunday, May 7, 2006

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - 2004 - DVD

Friday, April 14, 2006

Back in 2004 I was on a flight from Denver to New York, and in the back of the plane were about five fresh copies of American Cinematographer. Outside of what an 8mm film production course taught me in my sophomore year of college I have basically no understanding of technical film production jargon, but I was bored on the flight and decided that this was the best time to punish myself with such foreign details. Perhaps I would pick up an cool fact that would expand my dialogue in film history and theory. Perhaps?

Well, one of the lead stories was on Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, a film which I had originally no interest in seeing. But after shrinking into myself on the cramped three-plus hour flight, I stepped off the plane tall and free thinking, "I should see this technological wonder!" So, two years hence, I did. And as per the American Cinematographer article, this movie is all about effects. It was shot entirely behind a blue screen with almost no set or props. The actors had to act within a space that was empty save the elaborate lighting schemes illuminating the set. The narrative is as sophisticated as a eighth-grader; there is no story to substantiate the sleekness of the images, but then again, there probably was not meant to be. This movie was about showing off a technology that combines noir elements and the gritty photographic quality of underexposed film in contrast with bright over-exposed hues, all with a glossy sheen painted over it. It looks rather amazing. If only there was a story to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin