Sunday, March 25, 2007

Breach - 2007 - Film

Friday, March 23, 2007

Besides Chris Cooper's performance I'm sad to admit I thought Breach was just okay. The trouble for me came in the technique of the screenplay, which did little to reveal what really happened in the off-hours of FBI agent Eric O'Neill's (Ryan Phillippe) life. His anxieties were overt and didn't have a lot of depth; when he was mentally wrecked we knew because we saw him pacing around with his superior, Kate Burroughs (Laura Linney), or fighting about work matters with his wife. The plot was very carefully laid out before us without much guesswork, which is what I anticipated for a film that's already about a publicly known subject. I wonder if that sounds too picky--because in the end, it was a suspenseful story, and there are few actors as calculating and frightening as Chris Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin