Saturday, April 3, 2010

Scary-Movie 4


lets kick start with a comedy...
Though I missed it in the movie theater, I really looked forward to renting and watching Scary Movie 4. I know I may be quite sad, but I actually have enjoyed (mostly) the previous ones. With that same anticipation I sat to watch the fourth installment of this franchise and assumed I be entertained. Well, you know what they say about assumptions...Anna Faris plays Cindy, who discovers she is living in a house haunted by a little boy (ala The Grudge) and tries to search out who he is and why he is harrassing her. Similar to the other Scary Movies the fourth one spoofs many of the recent money makers, as well as some celeberties who have made headlines in the none-too-distant past. However, this time around, most of these spoofs felf forced and even outdated. The third movie introduced a new cast of characters and actors some of who have returned in this fourth movie. Gone are the Wayan brothers who added so much to the comedy and humor of these movies. Anna Faris is terrific and always finds a way to make me laugh, but the rest of the 'gang' leaves a lot to be desired. Faris has amazing comedic talent and is able to keep a straight-face at times when a 'normal' human being would be dying of laughter. Unfortunately, this movie felt completely held together by her and the the rest of the cast did nothing to keep the story flowing. In discussing "how could the movie be better" I would have to say, first and foremost, bring back the original cast or stop making the movies. Simple as that. No one else they have brought into the last two movies are even near the same league, comedically, as Faris and it shows on screen. Increase the budget, write a better script or use blackmail tactics to get the Wayans back to save this franchise, or bury the entire idea. Those are the options I see as to how it could have been improved because the cast used, aside from Anna Faris and Regina Fall (Brenda - another orginal) simply do not have the comedic skills necessary to make this movie, or any future Scary Movie, worth the price of admission.That said, I will be honest, I laughed at times (sometimes very hard) but overall felt rather bored by this movie. However, since I watched the movie I have found myself remembering certain scenes and quotes that have made me laugh more after-the-fact. This past weekend while out with family in Hyderabad, certain situations brought to mind "The Tom Cruise spoof with Orpah" and I would break into spontaneous laughter. Or, as I saw a poster advertising a Mike Tyson fight, I thought of the "Mike Tyson spoof" and had to share the humor with my folks. In short, if you want to laugh-out-loud or roll in the isles, don't watch Scary Movie 4. But if you liked the others and need a little 'lasting' humor to get you through the days, give it a watch, something will certainly stick with you and give you cause to chuckle, just don't expect too much. All in all, I would have to give Scary Movie 4 an overall rating of 3 outta 5.
MoviE - CritiC rating - 3.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin